|The Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helliniko conducted 656 patient visits in October 2016.
- Psychologists saw 68 patients.
- Our dentistry treated 11 refugee children at the camps in Rafina, Helliniko and those occupying a high school. Additionally we treated 6 refugees from Rafina camp at MCCH and 5 cases that were not treated at our clinic were seen by private volunteer doctors.
|In October we received donations of medicine from:
- 186 individuals in Greece
- Five associations
- One social pharmacy
- Two international groups
- Twelve individuals from France, Austria, Italy, Germany and the United Kingdom
- A group that supports our clinic from Hamburg, Germany
- A group that supports our clinic from Switzerland
- A donation of medicine and medical supplies from Switzerland from the proceeds of a concert organized there.
|The pharmacy, in addition to distributing medication to our own patients provided support with donations of medicine and medical supplies to:
- 14 other social solidarity clinics
- Two public hospitals
- 37 requests from groups assisting and working with refugees
- Two requests from police stations for patients in detention
- One hostel supporting the homeless
11 cases of different patients who came to us because of bureaucratic obstacles in obtaining needed medication from hospitals because of the new law (mainly psychiatric drugs)
|We were visited by:
- The Germany newspaper TAZ
- Reporters from Germany’s DER SPIEGEL
- The Germany state channel ZDF
- The internet radio “”Nostimon Imar”
- Representatives from the Danish Youth Council (DUF)
- An Italian photo-reporter
- Representatives from the Norwegian workers union
- 23 high school students
|We participated in the following:
- In Brussels on 2 October our volunteer Dr. George Vichas met with representatives from groups and organizations of Greeks who live in Belgium. Meetings that took place with representatives with many organizations, but mainly with those representing the union CGSP ALR. Vichas spoke the same day at the Federico Garcia Lorca Hall, where the majority of the audience were Belgian citizens. In the discussion that followed the speech concern was raised that austerity was making its appearance in Belgium, primarily in the area of health
- A talk in Nuremberg, in connection with receiving the “International Medical Peace Award” for 2016
- A speech to “Praxsis” in the hotel Crowne Plaza on “Why the social solidarity clinics and pharmacies are presently the ONLY meaningful source for a significant number of patients to obtain their medication.”
- The Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helliniko participated in a series of activites organized on 28-29 October on “Volunteer actions in Katerinini My land”. There were also visits to the refugee camps in Petra Pierias and Milia. A visit to the hospital in Katerini featured a discussion with the administration. And, finally there was a talk at the Tobacco Factory in Katerini. Participating in all these events was the president of the Green Euro-Parliamentarians Rebbeca Harms and a group from Hamburg “Help for Helliniko”
- The Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helliniko and the South Evian Gulf team joined forces in rowing for “Life, Hope and Solidarity”. On 8-9 October the team rowed from Sounio to Helliniko (26 nautical miles): ROWING FOR SOLIDARITY AND THE SUPPORT OF OUR UNINSURED
- It gave us great pleasure to receive the “Solidarity Caravan” from France on Saturday 22 October at the community center at Helliniko. Individuals, volunteers from various social clinics, the social kitchen “The Other Person” welcomed the solidarity caravan (read more here ) In total eight social clinics/pharmacies participated – from Nea Philidelphia, Nea Halkidonas, Chalandri, Iliou, Peristeri, Vyrona, Nea Smirnis, Koridalos, Piraeus and Patissia.
The event was moving and showed the support from our friends from France for the pressured Greek people. They recognize the difficult times that Greeks are living through because of the austerity policies in place for the last 6 years. From our side, we thank our French supporters and pledge that we will continue this difficult struggle, using their help to bring international attention to these inhuman policies that endanger all of Europe. Medicines from the caravan were delivered to the Social clinic/Pharmacy in Piraeus from where it was distributed. You can see a video of this at https://youtu.be/7VWOo1xA_ew
- The theatrical group of MCCH presented the children’s work “The Melody that Made the Stars Speak” by George Vichas. It was presented on 23 October at the 15th School Ilioupolis, hosted by the Parents Group of the school
|The radio program “Solidarity on Air” of the Metropolitan Community Clinic Helliniko is aired every Saturday from 15:00 – 15:30, throughout Greece on 91.6 and 105.8 FM (aired in Greece, in Greek). October featured five programs with the following subjects:
- 1/10 Solidarity structures and social clinics in North and South America
- 8/10 Evangelismos, the largest hospital in our country, its situation after six years of austerity
- 15/10 Our French supporters speak about their caravan, which left Leon on the 15th and reached MCCH on 22 October
- 22/10 The future of social clinics after the new law 4368 and the continuation of austerity policies in health
- 29/10 The NO from self-organized social clinics.
You can here these programs at http://www.mkiellinikou.org/blog/2015/12/17/arxeio (in Greek)
| The Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helleniko is a volunteer clinic providing cost-free primary health care to the uninsured, the unemployed who are without resources. We believe that that ALL should have equal and cost free access to the public health system.
“As long as austerity and the brutality continue, we will continue to combat it…”
Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helleniko