|In May 2017 MCCH: conducted 529 patient visits.
- Our psychologists saw 43 patients.
- Our dentistry had 35 visits, 33 of which were from refugees.
- Additionally, a volunteer who is a maxillofacial surgeon tended to two difficult post-operative cases in his surgery.
We distributed baby formula to 86 children.
|MCCH – with the cooperation of volunteer doctors, implemented the prevention programs:
- The Program for Active Monitoring of Diabetic Patients had 13 patients taking part
- Through the Program for Skin Cancer Prevention 51 patients were examined
|In May we received donations of medicine and medical supplies from 187individuals in Greece. A significant amount of medicine and supplies came from the following sources:
- One employee assistance fund
- Four municipal organizations (social pharmacies, social clinics, etc)
- One Parents and Guardians association
- One private school
- One cultural association
- One progressive association
- Four ecclesiastical bodies
And finally, we received significant donations from associations supporting our clinic in Hamburg, Germany, Switzerland and from individuals in France, Italy and Austria.
With these offering and the very hard work done by our volunteers who check, organize and insure that each package of medicine which reaches us is in proper order we are able to not only serve our patients, but to pass medicine on to others.
|In May, we were able to provide donations of medicine and medical supplies to:
- Twelve exceptional and urgent cases of individuals who had immediate need of treatment which, for a variety of reasons, was not available to them. (They were not patients of our clinic, but it was judged vital that they receive treatment immediately.
- Two requests from the Social Pharmacy at Vyrona
- Two requests from the Social Pharmacy of Piraeus
- One requests from the Social Pharmacy of Iliou
- Two requests from the Social Pharmacy of Glyfada
- One request from the program of home help of the Municipality of Spata
- One request from the Social Pharmacy of Helliniko-Argyroupolis Municipality
- One request from Community Services of Helliniko-Argyroupolis Municipality
- One request from Community Services of P. Faliron municipality
- One request from the group KEFI
- One request from social services of the hospital St. Anargyros
- One request from the Club of Mutual Assistance of N. Kosmos
- One request from the doctors at City Plaza (a refugee hosting facility)
- Two requests from Advisers for Refugees
- Two requests from the Refugee Hosting Center, Lavrio
- One request from the Refugee Hosting, Schisto
- Three requests from The International Organization of Migration (IOM)
- Two requests from Medical International
- Three requests from KYADA, Athens municipality
- Two requests from the Refugee Hosting Center, Elaiona
- Twelve requests from Caritas Greece refugee hosting program
- One request from Solidarity Now
- Twenty requests from Praksis
- One request from the homeless shelter of the Greek Red Cross
Additionally we took the initiative to distribute special milk and food supplements nearing expiration to Community Services of Public Hospitals
The volunteers of MCCH work to ensure that, as far as they are able, no resources are lost
We want those contributing items to our clinic to know that each gift is deeply appreciated and fully utilized and gives relief to those going through difficult times.
|We were visited by:
- The reporter Mrs. Rodothea Seralidou from the German left newspaper TAZ (subject, solidarity initiatives).
- Charlotee Stiévenard from Radio France Internationale
- Bicanski Milos, a reporter from Getty Images, U.K.
- Massimiliano Cochi, a reporter from Italian television TV 2000
- Carlin Philipp and Mr. Dimitris Parsanoglou from the Studies Lab, Friends of Pantio University, of New York University
- Eleana Blavianou, educator from the Malaria Education Center, together with 25 students
- Bartke and Ms. Stadler members of the German Parliament (Budestag) from the Social Democratic Party (SPD) accompanied by Mr. Werner, municipal councilor in Hamburg (SPD) and Mr. Kehrbach, Ms Tippman and Mrs. Christina Poulakis of the Athens Cultural Department of the Germany embassy
- Francis Coughlin from the U.S. who works in the Emergency room of a public hospital in NYC and is member of the Woodbine Health Autonomy Resource Center in New York.
- Freelance journalist Mr. Tim Baster and photo-reporter Mrs. Isabelle Marminod from the U.K.
- Foulvio Grimaldi of Italy, together with Mr. Panagiotis Grigoriou Anthropologist and historian
On 24 May MCCH published a press release entitled “Refugees – MCCH and NGOs”
|The radio program “Solidarity on Air” of the Metropolitan Community Clinic Helliniko is aired every Saturday from 15:00 – 15:30, throughout Greece on 91.6 and 105.8 FM. May featured programs with the following subjects:
- 6 May: “Analysis and Critique of the new Law for Primary Health Care: will it promote or undermine public health?”.
- 13 May “Findings, outcomes and decisions from the MCCH general assembly meeting of 3 May”. There was a large participation and a) we elected a new 11 member board, b) we decided to continue the distribution of medications with the same criteria with a priority given to self-organized community clinics and public institutions. Additionally, a press release will be prepared on this and our official stance on NGOs and c) We found that there is still a great need for the existence of MCCH. We will continue to work to promote, provide information and strive for another Greek Public Health system that is people-centered and gives special emphasis on preventative medicine. In line with that, we noted our own weaknesses and mistakes and decided on measures to improve the internal operations with a constructive dialog with new members.
- 20 May “Psychiatric Reform, a reform that never happened” We discussed with our invited guest, psychiatrist Thodoros Megalooiconomou the history of reforms in psychiatric health and its current deficiencies and needs
- 27 May “Volunteerism and young people, building solidarity for tomorrow”. A conversation on how we can help the young to understand the real meaning of volunteerism and solidarity and to recognize that they can choose to be part of the solution to problems through their way of life.
You can hear these programs at http://www.mkiellinikou.org/blog/2015/12/17/arxeio
| The Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helleniko is a volunteer clinic providing cost-free primary health care to the uninsured, the unemployed who are without resources. We believe that that ALL should have equal and cost free access to the public health system.
“As long as austerity and the brutality continue, we will continue to combat it…”
Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helleniko