|In June 2017 MCCH conducted 488 patient visits:
- Our psychologists saw 47 patients.
- Our dentistry had 19 visits, 17 of whom were refugees from the Rafina
and Schisto shelters.
- We distributed baby formula to114 children.
|MCCH, with the cooperation of volunteer doctors, implemented the following prevention programs:
- Through the Program for Skin Cancer Prevention 25 patients were examined
|In June we received donations of medicine and medical supplies from 157 individuals in Greece. A significant amount of medicine and supplies came from the following sources:
- Two municipal organizations (social pharmacies)
- Two private clubs
- Three ecclesiastical organizations
- One environmental organization
- One international organization
And finally, we received significant donations from associations supporting our clinic including a radio station in Australia and a society of Friends of Greece in Austria, and individuals in France, Italy Germany and Austria.
|With these offerings and the very hard work done by our volunteers who check, organize and insure that each package of medicine which reaches us is in proper order, we are able to not only serve our patients, but to pass medicine on to others. In June we were able to fulfill requests for medicine and medical supplies to:
- Four requests from the Social Pharmacy at Vyrona
- Two requests from the Social Pharmacy of Piraeus
- Two requests from the Solidarity Clinic of Piraeus
- One request from the Red Cross Homeless Shelter
- One request from the Club of Mutual Assistance of N. Kosmos
- One request from the Kypseli Asylum
- One request from the Social Clinic in New Smyrni
- One request from the Refugee Shelter Center, Lavrio
- One request from the Refugee Shelter, Schisto
We also responded to requests from various organizations so they could assist patients in filling prescriptions:
- One urgent request from a homeless fellow citizen.
- One request from the Social Clinic Artas
- One request from the Social Clinic Corinth
- One request from the Social Clinic Glyfada
- Two requests from Medina Estimates, medical intervention
- One request from International Organization of Migrants
- Two requests from the Council of Refugees
- Two requests from KYADA Athens
- One request from Social Services of the Hospitality Center of Elaiona
- Five requests from Caritas Greece program for hosting refugees
- One request from Solidarity Now
- Thirty-two requests from Praksis
Additionally we took the initiative to distribute special milk and food supplements nearing expiration to Community Services of Public Hospitals
The volunteers of MCCH work to ensure that, as far as they are able, no resources are lost.
We want those contributing items to our clinic to know that each gift is deeply appreciated and fully utilized and gives relief to those going through difficult times.
|We were visited by:
- Mrs Cristina Temenos Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Geography, editorial board member Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space Editorial Board member Geography Compass – Urban
- Spanish news agency EFE, Ingrid Haack Casajus
- Spyros Fremedinis, Equal Society, Stockholm, Sweden
- Heath Cabot, anthropologist, USA
- Emily Blair, journalist student studying in Athens
- The Swedish club Nätverketfor Grekland held an event and our volunteer Christos Sideris spoke with them via Skype about our clinic, the work we do and the situation with public health in Greece.
- On 17 June we hosted a blood drive. On 12 June we issued a press release detailing that the blood bank Dimitri Vlon would conduct a blood drive at our clinic.
The theatrical group of MCCH presented the children’s play “The Melody that Caused the Stars to Sing” by Dr. George Vichas on 10 June 2017 at the invitation of the Volunteer Action Committee of N. Piraias.
Our clinic has started a book exchange program for the volunteers.
|The radio program “Solidarity on Air” of the Metropolitan Community Clinic Helliniko is aired every Saturday from 15:00 – 15:30, throughout Greece on 91.6 and 105.8 FM. May featured programs with the following subjects:
- 3 June “Briefings from MCCH Volunteers”. Personal stories from the participants in this experiment in solidarity that is MCCH and how the quality of relationships between patients and volunteers develops.
- 10 June “Good things about Blood Drives”. Volunteer blood drives, their benefits, consequences and altruism .
- 17 June “Seven Years of Poverty Initiatives of active citizens to meet its consequences”. Discussion with two researchers/academics in the fields of social policy on the destruction to society that comes with seven years of austerity measures and the response of active solidarity measures arising from individuals.
- 24 June “The Phenomenon of Homelessness among our Fellow Citizens”. A discussion on the rise of homelessness, once quite rare in Greece, which has increased exponentially. What can be done to assist the situation and how can we help the homeless to endure their every day struggle.
There will be no radio programs in July or August.
You can hear these programs at http://www.mkiellinikou.org/blog/2015/12/17/arxeio
| The Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helleniko is a volunteer clinic providing cost-free primary health care to the uninsured, the unemployed who are without resources. We believe that that ALL should have equal and cost free access to the public health system.
“As long as austerity and the brutality continue, we will continue to combat it…”
Metropolitan Community Clinic at Helleniko